Frequently Asked Questions

Through transparency we gain trust.  Is there something you are not seeing on the website you want to?  Contact us and let us know. 

How can I receive immediate housing? How do I apply?
The Housing Authority of the City of Asheville does not provide immediate housing. At this time, a pre-application for housing assistance may be filled out at our central office at 165 South French Broad Avenue, Monday through Thursday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Once an application is completed for housing, applicants are placed on a waiting list according to the date and time of their application and local preference for which they may qualify. There is an extensive waiting period to receive housing. For immediate temporary housing, please contact United Way’s 2-1-1 helpline: 2-1-1, (828) 252-4357 or toll free: 1 (866) 401-6342
Where am I on the waiting list?
Looking to know if you are on HACA’s waiting list? Call or email Teresa Watts – at (828) 239-3531 or
Where can I find an affordable housing list for this area?
For a general listing of the private market rentals that are affordable and accept Housing Choice Vouchers go to GoSection8 or WNC Housing Finder.
Do I qualify for the housing authority programs?
Click on this link for Buncombe County income limits for year 2016.  Public Housing eligibility is based on the Very Low Income Limits and Housing Choice Voucher is based on the Extremely Low Income Limits.  Other eligibility requirements depend on a background check and any monies owed to our or other Public Housing agency.
I have a voucher and I want to move to Asheville. Whom do I contact?
Call the portability specialist in the Housing Choice Voucher Department, Sheila Greene, (828) 239-3535, To fax information, send it to (828) 236-1388.
Do you have a program for Homeownership?
HACA has a Homeownership and Family Self Sufficiency Program.  A HACA-approved home buyer training course must be passed. To learn more, contact  Lindsey Creasman at (828) 239-3517,
I want to be a landlord on the Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8). How can I list my unit?
The first step in renting your property to a Housing Choice Voucher participant is to review a property owner checklist and list your property through GoSection8 or WNC Housing Finder. The free rental listing allows your vacancy to be advertised to our clients who are moving. Once posted, clients will then contact you about renting your property. You will show them the property and conduct your normal screening process in selecting a tenant. If you decide to lease to an assisted client, they will give you their moving packet to complete, which includes some forms that will get you set up as a vendor in our program and an inspection form that allows HACA to come out and approve the property. The basics you need to know are found in the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract located on HUD’s website.
What are the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) standards for HCV (S8) inspections?
Download the HQS checklist.
What are the current utility allowances for the HCV (S8) Program?
View the current utility allowances.

How do I remove my name from the HACA Trespass List?
Fill out the form Request for Removal and submit to LaFredia Morris,, located at Central Office, 165 S. French Broad Ave, 28801

What are the Admission and Occupancy policies for Public Housing?
Click here for the full Admission and Continued Occupancy Policy for the Public Housing Program.